Re: 83 vs. 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 83 vs. 85

> I don't know about anyone else, but I have not found one use for the
> table yet.  >>...<<  Then you have to scroll down and find out when y
turns to
> the number.  To me, this is like a trial and error type way of
> solving it.  On the 85, however, just go into the SOLVER and hit the
> F key that corresponds to y1, type in a value for y, and press F5.
> That's it... very easy.
I've been using my TI-82's table in math class every single day for the
last 4 weeks.  We are investigating arithmetic and geometric sequences, and
it saves and incredible amount of time over doing it by hand, or running a
sequence program on the TI-85.  I set the formula in the Un= menu, set my
starting value in the window setting, and then all I have to do is enter
the term I want the value for, and in no time at all, it's there.  If I
want to find the sum of all the terms in a series up to that point, no
problem, add one line to the VN= line, and I've got that too.  Maybe the Y=
problems don't really need the table, but I don't want to work out
sequences by hand, not when I have some with thousands of iterations, etc.
You don't have to "scroll down" to the result, because you can set the
table to ask for the term you would like to display, and then all you have
to do is type in a number for a result.

Aaron