Re: Ti and inequalities

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ti and inequalities

What do you mean?  Like "y=2<x<5"???  Just enter "Y1=(2<x) and (x<5)".  This
works because of boolean algebra.  The calculator interprets it like this:

Y1=(2<x) and (x<5)

Say x=4
(2<x)           two is less than x
        true or 1 (true = 1)
(x<5)           x is less than 5
        true or 1 (true = 1)
1 and 1         1 is non-zero and 1 is non-zero (zero is false)
        true or 1 (true = 1)

So the calculator graphs a point at (4,1)

Another Example:

Y1=(2<x) and (x<5)

Say x=6

(2<x)           two is less than x
        true or 1 (true = 1)
(x<5)           x is less than 5
        false or 0 (false = 0)
1 and 0         1 is non-zero and 0 is non-zero (zero is false)
        false or 0 (false = 0)

So the calculator graphs a point at (6,0)

TI calculators can do a lot, you just have to know how to tell them what do
do.

Riley McArdle
mechsys@worldnet.att.net
http://www.student.toplinks.com/hp/griffon/