Re: Table

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Table

>In the TI-82, there's a TABLE function.  Is there a similar function in
>the TI-85?  I'm sick of using TRACE and EVAL everytime I need a table of
>values.
>
>Gary
>
>viper@catch22.com

The Table feature in the TI-82 (and the slightly improved version in the TI-83)
are special features (advantages) of these calculators compared to the TI-85.
If the idea had been available at the time the TI-85 was designed, this feature
might well have been included, but it wasn't.  Various attempts to "Retrofit"
this capability into the TI-85 by means of user-written programs have been
made, but none of them really stand up to the hard use of the Table that I (and
other instructors, I am sure) make when teaching my math classes.  This is
one reason why the TI-82 (nowadays the TI-83) is the preferred calculator for
_teaching_ mathematics with.  It's also useful for _doing_ math, of course!

Those on this list who always answer an honest question about "which
calculator is better?" with "a TI-85, of course!" are not facing the fact that
the TI-85 and the TI-83 are _different_ calculators, for different purposes.
The capabilities of neither one are a subset of the capabilities of the other
(a good thing, in my opinion).  One tool won't do it all either for calculators
for my home workbench.

        RWW Taylor
        National Technical Institute for the Deaf
        Rochester Institute of Technology
        Rochester NY 14623