Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The absolute wsmofam@pacbell.net wrote:

> Mark-
>
> Of course you don't NEED a calulator, it's a convienience, but do you
> still churn butter? Or do you goto the super market and buy it?  You
> don't need somebody to make butter for you, you could easily do it for
> yourslef.

The absolute worst thing that could happen if I screw up churning butter
is I or my family gets sick.  As an engineer, the absolute worst thing
that can happen is ~350 people in various sized burning chunks hurtle at
terminal velocity to the earth because I didn't spot a wrong answer.
Nobody is perfect, but reliance on powerful (though still fallible)
software to do basic math is begging for trouble.

For example, your reliance on spell checking is obvious.  Your post is
still readable, nobody died, but badly spelt.  Translate that mistake
into a million dollar surveying error, a bad centroid calculation for a
crucial aircraft keel beam, etc becuase the Ti-92 (for example) has a
bug in its DERIVE routine.

<pre>
--
Mark Wilson

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange eons even death may die."
</pre>