Re: Best TI Calculator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best TI Calculator

I'm curious, as one who prefers the "early eighties" to the 85/92, about
the population distribution of those who prefer the 85/92 format.  Where
are you in your mathematical/educational/technical lives?  What do you
primarily do with your calculators?  I've seen a lot of traffic =
primarily
for programming concerns.  Is that the prevailing factor?

As for me, for my major computer needs, I own a computer.  When I need a
calculator, I pull out my 82.  I am a teacher/mathematician for whom the
82 is simple to use and serves the purpose who sees no need for =
something
as powerful as the 92.

Could someone take for a ride on the clue train here?

At the moment I'm studying economics and statistics - I don't really =
know the level compared to the US and other countries, but the books =
we're using are "Economics" by Parkin/King and "Statistics for business =
and economics" by Paul Newbold (might give you a clue...)=20

Only very few of us use a calculator with graphing capabilities, and =
among those who do, I'd say that the HP 19BII is having a lead, perhaps =
because it is marketed by HP in Denmark as THE calculator for this =
specific study.=20

In general I'd say that the BSII from Texas is the most widely used, =
with only a single TI80 (mine! ;-) and a few TI85's scattered around the =
class, but there is no doubt that the 8X'es are superior when it comes =
to representing the calculated data to the user. Still, the difference =
between the price of a BSII and a 83 or 85 is something like 1:3 to 1:4 =
which prevent a lot of potential users from buying it as long as they =
haven't really tried it and felt the power and applicability of a =
graphing calculator.

To get back on track: Having seen the 85 in action in these classes, I'm =
more than convinced that the 80/82/83 rules when we're talking economics =
and statistics, especially because of the way they use lists and tables =
- not to mention the financial functions that has been built into the =
83. The TI85 simply wasn't ment to be used for these tasks, and is even =
outperformed by the BSII's from time to time.

Regards,
Anders