Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

In article <19961116180300.NAA17122@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
jwardell@aol.com wrote:

>And finally, if you are in high school, you don't really need anything
>in the TI9x or TI8x range.  I believe that most high schools do a very
>poor job of training people rigerously today.  Qualitative approaches
>are good, but it all should be done with good old paper and pencil, and
>when you've truly mastered it, you can go on.

If the course is taught correctly, that shouldn't be a problem.

In Calculus I &amp; II, more interesting things can be done on the
calculator.  It is a hinderance once students understand how to manually
find maxima and minima, and things like that.   When I learned calc, I was
drilled and drilled on finding end behavior, asymptotes, etc.  I do it in
my sleep.

 In the future, what are we going to use, a pen and paper to integrate and
derive?  I don't thinks so.  Sure, it is IMPERATIVE that people know what
is going on when you integrate a function, but it is most important that
student learn how do use the equipment. Some of the most interesting
classes I've have been in have been where we used the calculator a tool
for finding the answer, rather then to get the answer.

<pre>
 Jonathan J. Vafai                     New York University
 mailto:jjv200@acf2.nyu.edu        Computer Advocacy @ NYU
 http://pages.nyu.edu/~jjv200/           PGP + Blue Ribbon
</pre>