Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

00218244@ysub.ysu.edu wrote:
: In article <328b645b.582990@news.sprynet.com>
: lcappite@sprynet.com (Goatboy) writes:
:
: >I've been looking over the tech specs for all the TI calculators, and
: >I can't argue that these calculators are spectacular. They are the
: >most ingenious pieces of equipment for school use and such. However,
: >they're hardware is very inferior. The hard disk so to speak only is
: >about 30K. The processor runs at 6MHz? It only has an assembly
: >language, not something better? My gosh, on today's technology, hd
: >space is 6 *cents* a meg? And hard drives are the size of a TI calc.
: >If u shrink down the hd to that of a mini cassette, and put it in the
: >TI, u could get about 1/3 a gig. And you could probably do better,
: >because I've seen a mini cassette for the computer that holds a gig,
: >and the drive it goes in to is only 1 cm bigger on each side. And the
: >chip? The 486 chips are like $30 bucks nowadays, and they run at
: >66MHz. AMD chips are $75 for a 133MHz version. And the display screen.
: >I've seen sony watchman that were smaller and they have a color screen
: >at 320x200.
: >
: >Basically, what I'm saying is with today's current technology and its
: >cheapness, TI could probably come out with a calculator that could
: >outperform my computer (mine is a 486 DX2-50) for the same price as
: >their 92, and I don't know why they aren't trying.
: >
: In a way, he has a point whit this post.   I know a lot of people that would
wo
: rship a faster ti calculator with more memory. It's not like ti cant make a
fas
: ter calculator, they dont want to release another version of an established
cal
: c.  The point of this mail was that ti, at any time, could somehow upgrade a
ca
: lculator to be faster and have more memory.  For example, Why does it have to
: e a 486? it could be a chip that runs like a 286. By now some company had to
ma
: ke a chip which is faster that the ti chip and uses the same amount, or less
po
: wer than the current ti processor.  As for storage ram. Ram today is
inexpensiv
: e. A megabyte of ram is probably around 12 to 20 dollars. or they could have
ta
: ken a ramcard approach. Put ram on cards which you can buy and stick in your
ti
: calc.  Then when it is full you could take it out and put another one in the
sl
: ot.  But you dont see any of these thing on a ti calc because 1) they dont
want
:  to change the established calcs and 2) It would raise a calcs price.  Sure!
ti
:  could do this, but why release all these different versions of a calculator
wh
: en the current setup is perfect for doing what is was designed for; Math.

Or you could just buy a HP48GX.

<pre>
--

                                                       \   _   /