Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

1.  You don't need that much power just to graph a simple linear equation
2.  All of that hardware would need lots of batteries.
3.  All of that hardware would give out a lot of heat (especially the 486
processor)
4.  If you want all that, just get a Psion, Newton, or Pilot PDA.

Sure it sounds pretty cool but it could never be marketed as a
junior-high/high school calculator.

<pre>
--

Riley McArdle
griffon@the-lair.com

Goatboy <lcappite@sprynet.com> wrote in article
<328b645b.582990@news.sprynet.com>...
> I've been looking over the tech specs for all the TI calculators, and
> I can't argue that these calculators are spectacular. They are the
> most ingenious pieces of equipment for school use and such. However,
> they're hardware is very inferior. The hard disk so to speak only is
> about 30K. The processor runs at 6MHz? It only has an assembly
> language, not something better? My gosh, on today's technology, hd
> space is 6 *cents* a meg? And hard drives are the size of a TI calc.
> If u shrink down the hd to that of a mini cassette, and put it in the
> TI, u could get about 1/3 a gig. And you could probably do better,
> because I've seen a mini cassette for the computer that holds a gig,
> and the drive it goes in to is only 1 cm bigger on each side. And the
> chip? The 486 chips are like $30 bucks nowadays, and they run at
> 66MHz. AMD chips are $75 for a 133MHz version. And the display screen.
> I've seen sony watchman that were smaller and they have a color screen
> at 320x200.
>
> Basically, what I'm saying is with today's current technology and its
> cheapness, TI could probably come out with a calculator that could
> outperform my computer (mine is a 486 DX2-50) for the same price as
> their 92, and I don't know why they aren't trying.

</pre>