Re: Take apart a link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Take apart a link

Yes, there are two small screws in the serial side, so it is possible to
open it up.  However, there are 40-50 resistors and capacitors in there,
not to mention a MAX232C RS232<->TTL convertor chip and a PIC chip.  Nobody
has duplicated it, and I don't think anyone wants to try... according to
info I have, the PIC is very resistant to tampering...

Just 1) make a $4 or $5 link and use the homemade software, or 2) save
yourself the hassle and buy an official link from TI.  Its only about
$43-45 from places like A.D.A.M., Educalc, and Advantage marketing.  Check
www.ticalc.org for info on distributors.

At 04:02 11/5/96 GMT, Brian Heston wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone has bought a link from TI and tried to take it
>apart.  I would like to make about three of them, but would also like to
>use the official software.  If anyone has been successful in taking one
>apart and examining the circuitry inside, please let me know what you
>found.  Also if no one has done this, would someone who has a real one let
>me know if the Serial port side is made of molded plastic or if you can
>just unscrew it and open it up.
>
>Brian

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| Due to financial difficulties, the light at the end of |
|   the tunnel has been permanently disconnected.        |
| The packet goes out the card, into the copper, out     |
|   the router, onto the fiber, across the world, thru   |
|   the copper............       NOTHING BUT NET.        |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |
|         *** (80% post-consumer) ***                    |