Re: TI-92 Phasor

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92 Phasor

Regarding the TI-92 phasor anomaly, I've sent the following reply to
Peter at ti-cares@ti.com. If any of you electrical engineering types
agree there is a problem you might want to send a note to them.

Peter,

Thank you for the explanation of why the calculator performs as it does.
I had assumed that the degree/radian mismatch was the problem and in
general agree with you regarding the use of degrees in exponential form,
There is, however, a field in electrical engineering that uses polar
notation in degree form (phasors). AC circuit analysis (pioneered by
Charles Steinmetz) expresses magnitude and phase of AC (alternating
current) electrical circuits in any of three notations:

polar  -        V (degree symbol) theta
rectangular -   V cos theta + i V sin theta
exponential -   V e^i theta

V = voltage
(degree symbol) = degree angle symbol (SHIFT D on TI-92 keyboard)
theta = theta angle in degrees

the relationship between the notations is established by Euler's
identity:

e^i theta = cos theta + i sin theta

Without getting into details the various notations are used when
manipulating parameters in parallel/serial circuits. Consult any ac
electrical engineering book for a more thorough discussion. Depending on
the variables, polar to rectangular conversions may have to be tediously
performed several times to arrive at the final solution. When matrices
are involved, more time is spent performing conversions than solving
problems. My use of degrees in exponential notation (Euler's identity)
was an attempt to overcome this difficulty.

Nevertheless, I think there is a limitation in the TI-92 regarding polar
complex notation, that should be corrected or identified. In the
meantime I shall write a program that provides a workaround.

Warmest regards,
Randall R Vogtman