Re: Help! Source of LOGO

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help! Source of LOGO

Jonathan Maier writes:

>  Due to popular demand, I've attached here my logo program.

An interesting program.  However, let's not confuse Logo with the idea of
"turtle graphics", which is really what this program implements.
Implementations of turtle graphics have been developed in a wide variety
of computer languages, including Applesoft BASIC.

Logo, on the other hand, is a serious computer language (really a dialect
of Lisp) whose basic data structure is the list and whose basic control
structure is recursion.  Some deep programming is possible in Logo -- it
is a good environment in which to tackle language processing, for example.
I once, as a challenge, worked out a full recursive parser in
Logo over a weekend.  There is a series of texts (published by the MIT
Press) offering an introduction to many of the basic themes in computer
science in a Logo environment, plus several other books from the same
publisher exploring interesting computer-related topics in this medium.

I don't think we will ever see a real implementation of Logo (or of APL,
another deep computer language) on a TI-8x sized machine.  But hey,
I could be wrong!

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623