DERIVATIVES

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DERIVATIVES

To answer your question simply, a derivative is a function that
represents the slope of the tangent for any given value of x in the
function f(x).  For example the derivative of sin(x) = -cos(x), by
simple inspection you may see how this is true.  When the slope of
the tangent is 0 (ie.  cos(x)= pi/2) the function is either at a
local max or min or does not exist, in the examples case I think it
is at a local min.  But I'm only in grade 12 and don't know calculus
overly well.  Hopefully this helped somewhat.