Re: Why are TI Calcs so inferior?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

In article <57sr6u$qd@dismay.ucs.indiana.edu>, you wrote:

>In article <DX2ly4S9c+RC089yn@netcom.com>,
>Dave Shuman <dshuman@netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>Speaking as a potential patient, I rather trust the doctor that
>>used the calc.  The performance of the human mind is far too
>>variable, especially under stress!
>
>one of the selection criteria for doctors is the ability to perform
>reliably under stress.  you don't make it through med school if you
>can't.

Med school is only for a few years. Doctors are also human beings,
and therefore prone to maturation and decline just like any other
human being.  Digital instruments do not gradually decline in
capability the way humans do, they either work or fail, with
either status usually being quite obvious.  So again, speaking
as a potential patient, I would much rather trust my life to a
doctor who understands his own fallibility, and cross checks his
mental calculations.  The God complex has no place in the practice
of medecine, or any other profession. Anyone who beleives himself
infallible is only fooling himself.

--
Dave S.

Follow-Ups: References: