Re: Calculator Program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculator Program

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Andrew Platt wrote:

> I seem to remember that there was actually a version of chess that
> worked on the 1K Sinclair ZX81! It actually required 4K to create the
> program, should you type it in, but off the cassette used just 1K. It
> had to use the screen memory as temporary storage (not a problem on the
> ZX81 because it "fast" mode, the refreshing of the screen was turned
> off.
>
> Of course my memory may have exaggerated the feat - I am not 100% sure
> that it wasn't a draughts program (that's checkers for those on the
> other side of the Atlantic). Still quite some achievement.

You're correct.  It ran in the 800 bytes available in the 1k
Sinclair.  I was in a thread a few months ago on comp.sys.sinclair
with the guy that wrote it and a bunch of people that used it.

It used screen memory for the search if I remember right.

It was chess, not checkers.  If youre interested post on
comp.sys.sinclair and he'll probably respond.  He seemed
to enjoy talking about it and it was an interesting thread.

Barry