Re: Calculator Program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculator Program

On 25 Aug 1996 16:45:56 GMT, carr@fog.cs.odu.edu (Cyber Linguist)
wrote:

>I like this idea! Hey -- if a 16K Timex/Sinclair can play Chess, so can
>a 20K calculator, hm? 8-)> I'll look for BASIC code on the 'Net --

not necessarily true.  The 16K has all assembly instructions and
therefore, there is no unnecessary checking routines which cause the
program to be faster and smaller.  Since the routines in the TI-Basic
are all self checking, the size of the program will be much larger and
slower.  It may be possible of it was written solely in ZShell, but I
doubt it could be written in the Basic language.

>usually, these calculators speak an algebraic language easily translated

Another thing.  When you program in Basic with the algebraic entry,
the calculator must change it into the reverse entry because that is
how the chip handles bits and digits.  Another reason why the program
will be much larger.

>to/from BASIC. If you find anything, please post it -- it would be
>interesting to see just how cheesy a computer we can get to play a legal,
>if BAD, game of chess. Playing a good (2 or 3 ply lookahead) game would be
>even better! Hmm -- tune the game to run well on this machine, then port it
>to QuickBasic on a P166! About the only way a slow program like this would
>really stand a chance would be to have a lot of knowledge -- it couldn't
>rely on brute force. With such knowledge, why not then upgrade the
>hardware? It may not win any contests, but should be MUCH fun! 8-)

| "You can pick your friends, and  | (   \ (  \/  )   mao@wuchem.wustl.edu |
|  you can pick your nose; but you |  ) ) ) )    (                         |
|  can't pick your friend's nose." | (___/ (_/\/\_)       (Dean Mao)       |