Re: Stolen Calculators!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stolen Calculators!

In a message dated 96-08-22 04:04:08 EDT, scwolfe@IX.NETCOM.COM (Steven
Wolfe) writes:

<<     What my school does is ask students to do two things:

     1.  Scratch the owner's name into the calc.  Marker and stickers
 can be removed, but actually scratching a name or something into the
 calc makes it a bit more difficult for a thief to claim as his or her
 own.

     2.  Record somewhere the serial number of your calc.  Like social
 security numbers or snowflakes, no two serial numbers are alike.

 If a teacher looks at another student's calc and recognizes such
 things, you're likely to get your calc back (same if you can identify
 such markings or numbers if a lost calc was turned in).

     Although none of this matters at this point, it's still worth
 mentioning.  As far as I can tell, it works at my school.  Plus, if you
 keep your calc in your pocket (like I do with my 82) or in a carrying
 case which never leaves your side (like I do with my 92), you're less
 likely to have it stol >>

Its a good idea, but that might work 20% of the time, i had my 85 stolen, and
it was engraved, the guy scratched it out, looked funny, but you couldn't see
my name.  I stole the calc back (hehehe had experience in that from my
younger years)... best thing to do is NOT put it in the back pocket of your
bookbag, and in winter, if you have a big coat, just put it in a inner
pocket.