Re: TI sucks HP rules

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI sucks HP rules

: > <<My personal Unix preferences go towards Linux, NeXTStep, and Irix....>>

: > What is unix anyways...

: Unix is a type of computer that runs the Linux operating system and if I
: am not mistaken can run both Mac and Pc OSs. It is used mostly by  large
: computer computers.

Ahem.

Unix is not a type of computer, but, rather, is an operating system,
just as OS/2 is an operating system.

To be a shade more precise, Unix is an ideal that other operating
systems, such as Linux, AIX, and Solaris, strive toward. The last true
version of Unix was released in 1977, and there are many `flavors' of
Unix available today. Some of them include parts that were present in
the 70s, such as Solaris, but others were completely rewritten from
scratch, such as GNU/Linux.

Linux runs on Intel x86 machines, DEC Alpha, some SPARC (Sun
Microsytems) machines, some PowerPC machines, and some M68k machines,
such as the Amiga.  But Linux is not the only flavor of Unix; it is
geared toward smaller systems, such as PCs.

Cray, for example, makes a version of Unix that they ship with their
supercomputers. IBM sells AIX for their high-end servers. Silicon
Graphics boxes come with Irix. Apple makes a particularly unpopular
flavor for Macs named A/UX.

If you're interested in Unix for your PC, look out http://www.linux.org.
Linux is free.