Re: Which TI does your school require

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996 01:50:52 GMT Justin Hall <halldp@ONE.NET> writes:
>Richard Taylor <rtaylor@tenet.edu> wrote:
>
>>Well, I think I have to offer an opinion, here. For those about to
>buy a
>>new graphing calculator, you should keep in mind that the TI-85 is a
>>very old machine--The 80, 82, 83, and 92 have all been introduced
>since
>>the 85 came out, and TI has learned a lot since the old 85 was
>designed.
>>Of course the 85 still does a couple of things just really
>beautifully
>>well, but it's so cludgy in so many areas that I can't see someone
>>buying one unless they had a very specific purpose.
>
>>And there is just no reason to buy a TI-82; it's replacement, the
>TI-83,
>>is so superior that the 82 shouldn't even be considered. The 83 can
>be
>>used side by side with 82s, there's a huge base of programs for it,
>and
>>it's now got expanded capabilities with complex numbers, business and
>>statistical functions, etc.
>>I've had a number of students who thought that becuase the TI-85 has
>>bigger number and costs more that it must be better. Most traded them
>>back in for an 82 or 83.
>
>The only reason I've seen for junior and senior level math teachers
>recommending the 82 to students was because of (A) tables;
>(B)statistics; and (C) ease of learning/use (and the cheaper price, of
>course). These arre all very reasonable, as well as the newer age of
>the 82. The 83 adds some more features, but it still can't compare to
>the power of an 85. As I've said in the past, my 85 can do ANYTHING an
>82 (or 83) can do, faster and more efficiently. Plus you have easier
>programming, a much more efficient menu system, and Zshell. Assembly
>for the 83 may be in the works, but the experience and range of stuff
>you can currently use on the 85 beats it. The time it takes to learn
>an 85 over the 82/83, I think, is just a scare factor. I picked up an
>85 for the first time, looked in manual twice, and took off quickly on
>it. I had used an 82 before, and an 81 before that, and I still knew
>more about the 85 and its' capabilities in those few moments than I
>had about the 81/82 in the week I had used them. For a few bucks, the
>85 clearly beats the 82/83.
>As for the 92, I haven't had the pleasure of trying one.. but if
>students want to spend the money for that advanced of a calc, it rips
>the power of an 85 to shreds. I hope assembly will get ported
>successfully so i can have a reason to go buy one ;)
>
>  "God was a Gendian Knight before He took the Universe in hand.."
>-Ulath
>   Justin "Skale" Hall    <a href="mailto:halldp@one.net">halldp@one.net</a>   http://w3.one.net/~halldp/

I have to agree with Justin, here. The TI-85 does have a better menu
system, as well as many more functions. Here are the differences that I
know of:

TI-82

1. Box plot
2. Split screen
3. Text function to write text to a graph
4. Table
5. Has some other graphing mode (I forget which one)
6. Has a cool looking matrix editor

TI-85

1. Unlimited programs, pictures, matrices, and GDBs
2. 8 character long names and program labels
3. When tracing a function, the function number is displayed at the top
(very handy)
4. Has an equation solver
5. Solves simultaneous equations
5. Solves for the roots of polynomial equations
6. Handles complex numbers.
7. Lists can be any length
8. Has vectors, constants, and string variables
9. Has a 8x21 character screen. (the 82 is 8x16 characters)
10. Has lowercase letters
11. Can handle up to 99 function, parametic, and polar equations.
12. Can graph differential equations.
13. Has custom menus
14. Can convert between octal, binary, hex, and decimal
15. Has unit conversions
16. Has many greek and miscallaneous characters (including spanish
characters and accents)
17. Has a catalog of commands. This makes it easier for a new user to
find commands.

As you can see, the TI-82 is a piece of junk. Sure, there may be programs
for the 82 that can do some of the stuff the 85 can, but if you have an
85, you can easily get a boxplot and a table program. And the TI-82 is
NOT easier to use, one is as easy as the other (I personally find the 85
easier to use).

If I missed any features, please feel free to add them to the lists.
There are other "minimal features" such as the 85's root finder (which
can be accomplished on the 82 by doing 1^(1/x)) which I didn't bother to
list.

                                        -Marco