Re: Which TI does your school require

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI does your school require

>Well, I think I have to offer an opinion, here. For those about to buy a
>new graphing calculator, you should keep in mind that the TI-85 is a
>very old machine--The 80, 82, 83, and 92 have all been introduced since
>the 85 came out, and TI has learned a lot since the old 85 was designed.
>Of course the 85 still does a couple of things just really beautifully
>well, but it's so cludgy in so many areas that I can't see someone
>buying one unless they had a very specific purpose.

Where's it kludgy? The only feature that I could possibly want from the 82
in my 85 is the table option. And it's worth losing that for the better
screen and enchanced solver capabilities....

>And there is just no reason to buy a TI-82; it's replacement, the TI-83,
>is so superior that the 82 shouldn't even be considered. The 83 can be
>used side by side with 82s, there's a huge base of programs for it, and
>it's now got expanded capabilities with complex numbers, business and
>statistical functions, etc.

Having never seen an 83, I can't comment here....

>I've had a number of students who thought that becuase the TI-85 has a
>bigger number and costs more that it must be better. Most traded them
>back in for an 82 or 83.

Strange kids. :)

Pat Gunn, a C programmer and member of TeamOS/2,
User of NT, OS/2, PC-DOS7, Linux, etc. My homepage is http://ftp.apk.net/~qc
Fan of Executor, a Mac emulator for DOS, Linux, and NeXT (see
http://www.ardi.com)
And then came the godly NEKO, a flying first strike 32/32 black creature