Re: TI sucks HP rules

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI sucks HP rules

pgunn01@ibm.net wrote:

> >Let me reinterate, "at a price i can afford", assuming mathmatica costs
> >around $30 or so, a laptop running at about $1,800 and up for anyting
> >worthwhile well, hold on let me break out the calculator, note no
> >boot-up time. We come up with $1,610.00 more than what my calculator
> >cost me. Well looks like the laptop loses in the afforablity department.
>
> I realize that, but considering the many other things you might want
> to carry around with you that a laptop replaces, like a discman, you
> see that the price of a laptop isn't quite so bad after all.

Well, since this is a Ti/Hp thread, lets not forget the Hp 200LX, which
being a palmtop is capable of all of the above, minus the discman, and
could be outfitted with Mathcad for well under $1000 U.S.  Besides, how
many people use a PC to play CDs?  Lets not throw in capabilities just
because they exist; try to keep the arguments functional.  For instance,
my car has a better stereo than my house (ooh, big deal!), so does that
mean I am going to sit in it to listen to the radio?!  Of course not;
only when driving.  Similarly, laptops are fairly capable, but they stil
don't fit into your pocket.  What sort of idiot would the average
business schmoe look like if every time his boss asked for a quick number
check, he "whipped" out a laptop?!

A hammer will put a screw into a wall just as well as a screwdriver, but
we still have screwdrivers.  Keep in mind the right tool for the job.

Besides, you are all wrong anywho.  For quick calculations, the Hp-48;
for involved math, the PC at home or the office with MathCad;  for real
number crunching, the Sparc 20s or the DEC alpha.  That is the only way
anybody should ever do math!! >;)

<pre>
--
Mark Wilson