Re: OS - gui

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OS - gui

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, barrym wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, JArtis1 wrote:
>
> > I think as long as someone is interested in creating a GUI operating
> > system, SOMEBODY should sit down and write a C compiler, probably through
> > ZShell.
>
> It would be kind of hard to fit a c compiler in the available 32k.
> And even if you could, c programs are typically several times the
> size of assembly programs.  And generally the smaller the compiler,
> the larger the executable.
>
> Small C as an example, for it's compiler and libraries, needs about
> 60k or thereabouts.  Then you need an assemlber and a linker.  At a
> minimum you'd need around 90k - 100k just to hold the compiler and
> it's tools, and then more memory for it to run in and even more for
> it's output.

I don't have a TI, but what one could do if [s]he was interested would be
to create a compiler that runs under DOS (or Windows, or Mac, or Linux,
or whatever) and compile the programs *there*, and send up only the
output onto the calc.

Michael Castleman, mlc@sri.webmate.com       | "Only two things are infinite:
http://sri.webmate.com/members/mlc/home.html | the universe and human stupidity
                                             | -- and I'm not sure about the
**NOTE ADDRESS CHANGE!**                     | former." -Albert Einstein