Re: TI Operating System/Graphical User Interface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI Operating System/Graphical User Interface

(Please ignore the sending address of this message.  This is my only link
to the internet for a while (AOL YUCK!!!).  Anyway, you all know me as
Riley McArdle - mechsys@worldnet.att.net)

Currently, I am just beginning to figure out how to design the innards of
the OS.  Right now, the one thing I need most is small, fast, efficient
code to convert from any base to any other base.  I am away from my
regular computer and am stuck on an ancient 386 with only AOL.  As soon as
I get back though, I will post what I have finished so far (maybe, if it
is presentable).  My main goals for the program are: to create a better
environment for programmers to make programs, to make programs easier to
use, to make all programs in graphics mode, to make it easier for
programmers to port their programs to other TI calculators.  I shouldn't
have much trouble with the coding, but help is always invited on how to
make the program better.  If you have any ideas that you want to pitch in
please e-mail me (protalker@aol.com until mid-august,
mechsys@worldnet.att.net after then) or leave a message on this newsgroup.

Here is some information as of now:
   - Working on inner workings (drivers, fonts, main program loader, etc.)
   - Need to get help on compressing lists and matrices (using base
conversion)
   - Programs talk to the OS by sending a short list of parameters in L6
     ex:
          {4,1->L6:prgmSYSTEM8X
     is the command to display an error message (main function #4) that
says "Fatal System Error: Bad function call." (sub function #1).

   - System returns error values in Ans
     ex:
          {1->L6:prgmSYSTEM8X
          if Ans:Stop
     Tries to load System/8X (function #1).  If for some reason, System/8X
could not load, the program stops.
    - There are two user-editable programs: prgmFONTS and prgmADDINS.
These two programs are just a list of Fonts or Drivers (Add-ins).  The
system puts a command into L6 and calls the program and each listed
program is run and looks at L6 to see if the system is talking to it.  If
it is, it does what the system asks, if not, it just goes on to the next
one in the list.
    - Fonts will be small programs that have the font stored in a
compressed list the system will take care of displaying them (exept for
the OEM font (the default system font) will be just Text commands)
    - Add-ins will do almost everything in the system, they will display
fonts, draw windows and controls, and get keyboard input, they will even
draw cards and dice.

Any questions or comments are welcome.  The results of this project will
be Freeware (NOT public domain.  I will still hold ALL copyrights to the
program).

Riley McArdle
protalker@aol.com (AOL! YUCK!!!)
mechsys@worldnet.att.net