Re: A92: TIOS: Can't live with it. Can't live without it?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: TIOS: Can't live with it. Can't live without it?

WOW! somebody is actually working on the thing!  EVERYBODY has an FTP program if they use any dos or windows based system.  Just go to the dos prompt and type ftp <address>, where <address> is the server location (i would type ftp http://xp.calc.org).  Then it asks for username and password.  after you type those in, it's pretty easy.  just make sure you are in BINARY mode before you transfer anything.

Noah Medling
http://xp.calc.org/

---- Betelg@aol.com wrote:

> Good. that's what I've been saying all along.  I'm building a web site for a
> project to build a dos-like OS for the ti-92, but I don't have an FTP
> program, although i DO have a server.  I'm glad I finally got the point
> across.
>
> > To all TI-92 users:
> >
> >  From what I've seen on this list, we have all wished at some time that we
> >  could get rid of the TIOS.  With a full 128K of workable memory, we could
> >  make very high-quality games.  (Oh, come on!  You know what you really do
> >  with your calculator! :)  However, the TIOS "system" takes almost half of
> >  the available memory.  We tolerate this bulky system since it does all of
> >  the mathematical/calculator things already.
> >
> >  Could we live without the TIOS?  Perhaps.
> >
> >  Removing the TIOS would mean removing all mathematical support.  However,
> >  new support could be written.  Only we could choose exactly what programs
> >  we want.  The geometry program, while functional, runs too slowly for one
> >  to find it useful.  Consider the memory saved when no one really wants it
> >  on their calculator.  So the question really becomes, "Are we better than
> >  TI?"  Or better yet, "Can we make a better TIOS?"
> >
> >  Can we?  Probably not.
> >
> >  I have seen some very amazing programs written for the TI92.  Considering
> >  the tight resources, fast-action games are still possible.  If teamed up,
> >  I'm sure we could design a much better operating system.  However, TI has
> >  spent a lot of time perfecting the "mathematical" OS.  We may scoff at TI
> >  as the programs are not efficient, but they are accurate.  And if I'm not
> >  mistaken, the geometry program was written by a different company.  So it
> >  becomes a very difficult task to rebuild all that TI has already put into
> >  the ROM.
> >
> >  So can we REALLY live without the TIOS?
> >
> >  I leave this question for you to answer.  A new operating system would be
> >  helpful for designing better programs/games.  However it would definitely
> >  hurt the calculator's user if they really depend on the built-in support.
> >
> >  Before we take this too far, let us take a survey.  If enough people feel
> >  they do not need the TIOS, perhaps we should consider starting a group to
> >  develop a new system.  Make sure you know that existing features could be
> >  rewritten for the new OS, but they may not be as good as the original.
> >
> >  Please send me (not the list) a reply to this survey.  At the end of this
> >  week, I will post the results to the list.  If you have comments/ideas on
> >  this, only post on the list if you feel EVERYONE needs to hear them.
> >

> >  ====
> >  Aaron Hill (Redmond, Wash.)
> >  Electronic Mail: serac@lightmail.com
> >  IRC Nickname: serac (on EF-Net)
> >  ActiveWorlds Citizenship: serac
> >

> >  </XMP>

To get your own FREE ZDNet onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com