Re: A92: RE: A Radio Link idea (Distance and updated)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 TurboSoft@aol.com wrote:

> Also, 5 Watts of power will provide about 3-4 miles of distance! (l think,
> with no obstructions in the way).
> --TurboSoft

5 watts should give you MUCH more distance than that.  I have a little 5
watt handheld amatuer radio, and I have talked with people 65-70 miles
away.  Using only about 100 milliwatts, I can talk with my friend in her
house about 5 miles away (there starts to be quite a bit of static, mostly
from the trees/hills/houses between us).  Anyway, 5 watts is probably WAY
more power than a radio calc. link would require.  Besides, batteries last
longer if you don't use quite so much transmitting power :)

-Mark-