Re: A92: compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: compression

I became interested in data compression a few months ago, so I asked around on
the usenet group for data compression about what book to get about it.
Everyone said to get The Data Compression Book by Mark Nelson and Jean-Loup
Gailly.  I did, and it is very good.  It covers Shannon-Fano, Huffman, and
Arithmetic compression, including adaptive compression and different orders of
each algorithm.  Then it covers standard dictionary-based compression methods,
such as LZSS and LZW.  It also covers image compression techniques such as
JPEG and fractal image compression.  It is pretty easy to understand and
includes source code for everything.  I would highly recommend it to anyone
who is interested in the subject of data compression.

								-Noah