A92: Re: compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: Re: compression

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Jimi Malcolm <MalcolmJ1@email.msn.com>
À : assembly-92@lists.ticalc.org <assembly-92@lists.ticalc.org>
Date : jeudi 1 avril 1999 01:10
Objet : A92: compression

>i am really curious about data compression.
>
>how do you compress something?  do you just look for repeating lines and
put
>something in to signify how many times it repeats?

Well, there are many ways to achieve this:

1) you can like what you just said: work on characters: as soone as you see
a character, just rewrite it on output and write the number of times it is
repeated... Not very efficient
2) try some lenght encoding: "huffman" : characters are coded on a number of
bits which depend on the their probability of apparition. It is quite
complex to build the table of the encoding for each character ( you need to
do some proba study on your file and to store the table at the begening of
your compressed file)
3) many other ways.. impossible to count... i know there are many books on
data compression available: search in any library..