Re: A92: Request of Information about DJGPP...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Request of Information about DJGPP...

Yup.  I once tried this, a long time ago.  The idea would be to get the
latest version of gcc from ftp.gnu.org, and compile it under DJGPP as a
cross compiler: host=ms-dos, target=m68k -- in particular, I would suggest
m68k-aout.

After trying to figure out how to edit the machine description files to
conform to A68k and trying to get it to compile (note: the tarball file
that gcc comes in has a number of long file names... and DJGPP's support
for WIN95 long filenames still eludes me...)  I gave up.  There is another
thing to consider:  gcc usually outputs position dependent code.  Code for
Fargo has to position independent.  After learning about gcc's -fPIC
option, I was tempted to try again... but I haven't gotten around to it.

In particular, I have been trying to get this to work under LINUX, where
long filenames are implicitly supported.  Another idea would be to try to
compile it as a WIN95 console mode application using VC++ or CYGWIN 19+
which claims to be able to compile such gcc.

But... these are just my $0.02

-- Shawn Walker