Greyscale "damages" eyes... (was Re: A92: word processor)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Greyscale "damages" eyes... (was Re: A92: word processor)

==== David Kühling wrote...

Some other reasons against greyscales:
  * Greyscale could "damage" your eys, when you work a lot with it, due
    to the slow rate (25 Hz)

====

Hrm...

I know that certain flashing colors have been known to cause seizures
in people with Epilepsy.  One scene during a Japanese Anime cartoon
depicted an explosion using alternating red and blue pigments.  This
visual element sent thousands to the hospitals.  Even more cases were
caused when the local news showed the sequence again.

I was NOT aware that simluated greyscale running at 25 Hz would cause
damage to your eyes.  If you are simply referring to strain on the
eyes, then I would agree.  I've been using computers since at LEAST
kindergarten.  I'm eighteen now, and I do wear glasses.  I was the
last member of my family to get them.  I do not attribute the large
use of CRT monitors with my poor eyesight.  It's a family thing.  My
brother hardly ever used the computer.  But he got glasses a good
five years before me.

As with any imagery--television, film, monitors, LED and LCD--there
is a certain amount of "damage" to your eyes.  I do not believe there
should be such a large concern.  You said greyscale on the calc runs
around 25 Hz.  Well, film projectors run at 24 Hz.  In fact, Bambi
was only done at 12 Hz (or maybe it was 15 Hz).  I'm using Hertz to
compare with your number, since FPS (frames per second) directly
relates to Hertz which is ANYTHING per second.  I really doubt that
we should be worried about greyscale.

About your other point, I do agree that greyscale is hard to read
anyway.  I actually would not use greyscale, unless there is an
embedded picture.  Now, if you wanted you could USE greyscale to do
hilight effects.  But I would NEVER use greyscale in my document.

====
Aaron Hill (Redmond, WA)
E-Mail: SeracOhw24@msn.com
IRC-Nick: Serac (EF-Net) (was SeracOhw)