Re: A92: Severe TI-92 bug

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Severe TI-92 bug

At 11:51 PM 5/23/98 -0700, Anton Ivanov wrote:
>> BTW, for those of you who spoke of removing all 5 batteries -- anything
>> that can be accomplished by that can be much more efficiently and reliably
>> accomplished by holding down [)] and [(-)] while inserting a battery.
>
>Just pull a battery half the way, that is to say, it is sufficient that you
>disconnect one terminal, press ON and pop it back in.  Solves all the
problems.

>Why in the world do you need to take all five out?  If you really wanted to
>leave the calc with no power (???), it is sufficient to take out the lithium
>and one of the  AAA's...

That's my whole point. Why in the WORLD would you want to take all five
batteries out, when there is a simple and reliable method that is
_guaranteed_ to reset your TI-92?

At this point, however, we diverge. Pressing [ON] does _not_ work. Maybe it
works for you, but it has NEVER worked for me.

The best way to do it, >>as I said<<, is to hold down [)] and [(-)] while
inserting a battery.
I suppose I should describe it the long way:

1) Remove a battery half-way.
2) Hold down the [)] and [(-)] keys. That's the right-paren key and the
negative key.
3) Re-insert the battery.
4) Continue to hold down both keys until your TI-92 resets.

I have stated this countless times and STILL the misconception continues.
Many people still think they need to remove all 5 batteries, press ON, say,
one or two, maybe a thousand times... and then put all the batteries back
in and hope to God that the danged TI-92 finally resets itself.

You don't need to do this!!! Simply follow the four steps above, and it'll
work every time.

(I'm not even going to mention that this is stated clearly in the TI-92
manual. Nor am I going to mention that I added this to the Fargo
documentation. I'm just going to hope that it catches on.)

---
David Ellsworth
davidell@earthling.net
IRC: eXocomp