Re: A92: Plus and emulators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Plus and emulators

> What do you mean, "no real programming"? Personally I've never used an
> emulator for programming purposes at all (though with the increasing amount
> of dust under my 92II's LCD I may start doing so).

It is *possible* to program without an emulator, but it is rather cumbersome
and unwieldy.  Due to the nature of assembly programming, every little piece of
code has to be tested:  if you write several pieces of code and a program that
once worked no longer does, it makes troubleshooting much more difficult.  An
emulator provides a way to immedeatly test your code without taking your eyes
off the screen.  The ideal programming environment that I have found is running
the editor in one window, compiler in another window, and an emulator running
db92 in a third window.  With DOSKEY and a modified fargo.bat, the compiling
and testing process is really just a few keystrokes.  Furthermore, I can't get
the serial port on my computer to work and no software for parallel port
linking exists to date (If someone can prove me wrong on this, I will be
overjoyed).  For these reasons, it is unlikely that I will undertake any major
project (like continuing to develop TiDOS) until there is an emulator for the
Plus module.

> About the ROM dump: it shouldn't be that hard to convert the Fargo II
> romdump programs to PlusShell. The problem is that if *any*
> hardware-interacting adresses have maved then Tiger most likely won't work
> at all... An easy way out would be if Tiger could support the .tib-files
> that the 92+ ROM flasher program uses.

I hope the author of Tiger is reading this.

--
Anton Ivanov
ivanova@ucs.orst.edu