A92: MCU and design overhaul: Please read!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: MCU and design overhaul: Please read!!

I just found out that unbeknownst to me, motorola has discontinued the
MC68HC811A8, and the best replacement I can find is the XC68HC711P2, but
unfortunatly it has a completely different command set.

right now, due to all the different things that can and possibly will be
implemented, I am comtemplating changing the design almost completely so that
there are seperate parts that work together in a sort of daisy chain.  All
being controlled by a single, and if desired a second, microprocessor in a
sort of semi-dumb interface with the calculator that could interpret the TI
protocal making it possible to send variables by way of the var-link screen
or a TI-basic program, making it much easier for non-fargo programmers to use
it in their programs.
then, depending on the current mode, determined by what module is currently
plugged in and active, it could say, decode a text file and then send it
through a printer interface module.  Or could write the file to an eeprom or
other style of low-voltage RAM.

this completely modular approach would also make it easier for other people
to make and sell peripheral units, and maybe even the main interface unit.
 This method would also satisfy all those people who wish to have all kinds
of extras or just the basic memory expansion or printer port interface.

I may also make it possible for people to either upload ROM updates ti the
interface or otherwise upgrade it so that future compatibility will be
possible.

Please send any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or
ideas to James L000@aol.com

-James