Re: Re : Re: LF: Once more: prog stuff

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997 Hmlacage@aol.com wrote:

> 1)  So: tell me if i am wrong: progs are moved in memory all the time by the
> ti os but they stay still when excuted.

Yes, this is correct.

> 2)  <<  move.l	#2,d0
> 	move.l	#5,d1
> 	add.l	d0,d1	; d0+d1 --> d1.  So, afterwards, d1=7
> >>

> OK: this works. However, is this operation done by the processor as if it was
> a hex addition ? I mean that in fact  we have chance that addition in hex is
> just the same as in bin or dec... No ?

Um, I don't really understand the question.  The processor adds the two
numbers.  The result is stored internally, of course, in binary.  But, the
method of storage is really not too important to the programmer.  One can
think of it being stored in any manner one wishes; it is just a number in
the register.

The only time, in fact, that base 2, 8, 10, 16, etc. become important is
when it is output for someone to read...

> 3)   Is there a prog written which, like a debugger, allows to add
> breakpoints in a prog and to get the state of registers ? Reclib cannot
> except if called by an error...
> If you had to show the state of a register, how many hex chars would U use (
> could U tell me exactly why U would chose a certain number: i am getting a
> little confused with all that hex/bin stuff )

I was working on such a program at one time, but it never came to
fruition.  I was browsing the Fargo Archive (http://www.fargo.ml.org) a
while back, and it appears that someone has written such a program.  Check
there.

If you had to show the exact state of a register:  Well, the 68k has
32-bit wide registers.  That means 32 BInary digiTs.  Each hexadecimal
digit represents 4 binary digits.  So, to display a 32-bit long-word, it
takes 8 hex digits.

> 4)   Last: lets imagine i wish to build a huge table ( ~1000 entries ). Is
> there a way to build it with a prog and to store it in a var which could be
> accessed by other progs ?

I really don't know the answer to this.  Well, that's not true.  I know
the answer is yes.  I have a good idea how to do it, also.  Unfortunately,
my method would only allow files to be accessible to fargo programs, i.e.
TI-BASIC programs wouldn't even know they existed.

But, I've never tried this idea out, so I don't think I'll say much more
about it...  Read RAM.TXT and HANDLES.TXT for ideas...

> BTW, "suite" IS french ! ( Gosh ! I taught him sth )
>             ^^^
>            just like " following "
>
> That' s all !
> Thanks for all help, Shawn...