LF: Re: Gender Changer

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LF: Re: Gender Changer

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 21:51:59 -0600 "Cajun 'Net Crusier"
<cajuncru@sprynet.com> writes:

>----------
>> From: QBall <dunngre1@metronet.lib.mi.us>
>> To: list-fargo@lists.ticalc.org
>> Subject: LF: Gender Changer
>> Date: Monday, November 18, 1996 7:08 PM
>>
>> My modem has a 25-pin male port on the back.  I can hook a cord to
>it
>> which is 25-pin female--8 pin DIN.  My TI Graph-Link (from TI) is
>male 8
>> pin DIN--stereo.  Where could I find a gender changer in order to
>use
>> fTerm ?
>>
>> Don't say Radio Shack because they said that they don't carry it and
>> CompUSA said that they could special order it (it would take 7-10
>> business days for $11.99+tax-------NO WAY)
>

>I will say RADIO SHACK.  You need a Null Modem Adapter (25 pin) but I
>don't
>see ,why you need a gender changer unless the Null Modem adapter is
>Male-Male or Female-Female.   The Null Modem Adapter is required so
>that
>the RX and TX lines are connected properly or otherwise the two RX
>lines
>will be connected to together and the two TX lines will be connected
>together.

You DO need a gender changer.  If you happened to look at the cords you
are playing with, the back of the modem is FEMALE and the TI-graph link
is FEMALE.  Well, guess what, cables don't have to choice of being
lesbian, one of 'em needs a sex change, hence the gender changer.  I do
agree on the null modem adapter, but you need the gender changer also
unless that is built into the null modem adapter.  A plain null modem is
female-male.  You need male-male so it will connect to the two female
ends you have.
So the choices are:  Null modem-male to male
  or                        Null modem-male to female+male to male gender
changer