Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

> I don't think that anyone's aware that all modems communicate at 9600 baud,
> that is the fastest a serial port can go the only difference between a 14,400
> and a 28,800 is the algorythem for the data compression.  If there was a way
> to emulate that in a new graph link then you could hook up with the internet
> at 28.8K.  Just thought I'd let everyone know.

I don't consider myself an expert on this subject, but if what you're
saying is true, then obviously the difference between a 14.4k and
28.8k modem is entirely hardware-based compression.  If it wasn't,
then software could emulate a 28.8k modem on a 14.4k one, which most
probably would have been done by now if it was possible.

Thus, to create a faster interface between a calculator and the
outside world, you would need major hardware modification.  If it's
not possible to make 28.8k out of 14.4k on a 200MHz computer using only
software, there's no chance it'll be possible using a 10MHz 68000.

Later,

      Josh Hays           |              jhays@teaser.fr
    Paris, France         |      http://www.brownell.edu/~johays
 American School of Paris |        http://www.teaser.fr/~jhays
      "Id quod fuimus aut sumus, non cras erimus." -Ovid