Re: LF: cool stuff to turn your calc into

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: cool stuff to turn your calc into

>well... ya, and it also had about 512k rom.  but it could probably be
>done by wrewriting the rom, making an external disk drive interface...
>etc, but id be kewl to turn a calc ino a mac (imho)
>
>(before I get flamed for saying "write to rom" I mean to a new chip with
>an eprom burner...)
>
>but the graphics routines themselves would be possible, and that would
>be kewl too.
>
>along with multitasking...
>--
>Christopher Poole

Not to go totally off list topic, but why don't the die-hard 'wireheads'
and hackers (in the proper sense of the word) among us create a totally new
hand-held game system from scratch, which would be supported by dedicated
programmers that write programs for the fun of it? Keep the price of the
system under $75, and the software, around $10-$15, would be distributed
over the Internet on a cripple-ware basis (download for free, but program
deletes itself after 15 days if not registered). Anyone?

The only problem with this would be that you would have to invent a way to
keep people from distributing registered copies of the programs... How
about having the owner of the system's name or SSI kept somewhere in the
ROM/RAM, and when the programs are registered, they are keyed to work only
on that particular unit?

Nathaniel Gibson
ngibson@postoffice.ptd.net