Re: LF: C programming for the TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: C programming for the TI-92

> Once C is compiled it is machine code. Once ASM is compiled it is machine
> code as well.

Umm... yeah. You can compile a QuickBasic program to machine code too.
Ever
seen such a program? Not a sight for soar eyes... =) (sirup is what
comes to
my mind). I hope you get my point.

> I disagree with you about the speed part. Why would it be
> slower? C is a compiled languege, like ASM, only its higer-level.

You said it yourself; it's high-level. Not even a commercial C compiler
such
as Watcom or Borland can compete with a good asm coder when it comes to
speed and size (on CISC processors that is, for example the 68000).
Yeah, it's really fun to code in asm... but that's not the only reason
do it. Believe me, the asm programs will be much faster and smaller in
almost
every case.

> Yes, a compiled C program is probably much larger than an asm one due to
> many libs & stuff, but I say its well worth it.

I say it's not. Every little program would be like 30+ kb. We don't have
that
kind of memory to waste even with the RAM upgrade installed.

> The development of the programs themselves would speed up, and that's better
> than just a few speedy programs.

I heavily disagree with you. Look at the PC scene today, you don't have
to code
in asm anymore beacause we have Pentiums with 32 mb (I don't though =) )
so the
programmers can use C for almost everything and still get reasonably
fast
programs (and they who still use asm can get lightspeed programs =) ).
This
means that the software houses can develope programs much faster, which
would be
neat if they were any good... sad but true: most of them are just crap.
We get
quantity, not quality. What do you prefer?

That's what I really like with the TI92, you have to do it the old way:
code in
asm and optimize you're programs for speed and size (because we can't
just install
another mb of memory or a Pentium Overdrive to get the lame programs to
work).

Programming for the TI92 is supposed to be fun, not make you rich. You
have the
time to learn and code in asm because there's no deadline to worry
about. And
besides, asm is so much more fun than C imho. If you still want to
"code" in C,
go ahead... I'm not going to stop you. But if it's not a Zelda game or
something
like that I think you'll get a hard time to make it popular... =)

But what do I know? Have a nice day!

\__/ 	movax@algonet.se