Re: LF: LATEST RAM INFO !!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: LATEST RAM INFO !!!

> >	- external : Soon external ramcards will be available from TI and
> >		     OTHER distributors ( How much memory that will add to
> >		     your system .. well I'll know it Thursday or Friday..
> >		     ... I'll tell ya all ). My distributer in Lübeck said
> >		     that this will depend on the type of chips you place
> >		     on those ramcards.
> >
> Sounds great! I have a question though... Do you know where you would
> plug the external ramcard in? Would it be that 'Test Access Panel'?
> But that would also upgrade the rom...
>
> -Tim

>From what I have noticed, the TI-92 motherboards come in many different
forms.  I can verify this, because my friends and I all have ROM 1.7.  The
1.7 TI-92 contains no RAM sockets on the motherboard, however, the spot
where a RAM socket would be already has a chip soldered in.  I have seen a
different senario on older 92s.  My school has ROM 1.1 for their class
sets.  Those 92s do have an open socket where an additional chip could be
added.  All 92s I have used have the plug-in ROM module (the block under
the 'Test Access Panel').  I have developed a theory on how TI will offer
RAM upgrades:

	1.  For TI-92 owners that have my style board (ROM 1.7 and up?) will only
have to purchase a new ROM module.  TI might say that it is RAM, but all it
will do is address the RAM that is in the board already.  Your current ROM
only addresses 70K.  TI can sell you a "RAM upgrade" that is nothing more
that a new ROM module that addresses the current 70K plus that other chip.
This saves TI time, effort, and money.  And it's easy for you.

	2.  For those with boards that have RAM sockets.  You will purchase a RAM
chip directly from TI.  TI or a TI service center will have to install it
for you (otherwise your warranty would be void).  You would possibly have
to buy a new ROM module so the new RAM could be addressed, but it would
probably be included in a package with the RAM.

I see no possible way to add a memory expansion board.  There's simply no
room or way in the case and no way to hook up one externally for long-term
use.  It's not practical.

Now, the whole RAM upgrade thing leads to another question.  I don't think
TI will sell these upgrades as "user-installed".  Think about it, if my
theory is correct and different ROM versions require different ways to
upgrade the memory, you will have to know the ROM version number in order
to buy the appropriate memory upgrade.  Granted we all know how to do this,
but TI doesn't want people to know this or do it for that matter.  It is
not supported by TI, so my guess is that you will have to buy the memory
upgrade for a flat rate, send in your TI-92 and TI will take care of the
rest.  Upgrading the ROM if needed, soldering chips, etc.

I wish TI was reading this and would respond.  BTW, does anyone have a clue
why TI would only offer TI-92 RAM upgrades in Europe and not the US?

/*
 * David L. Cantrell Jr.
 * kcscou19@mail.idt.net
 * Roadkill Connection Webmaster