Re: LF: Re: TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: Re: TI-92

At 02:20 AM 12/1/96 -0600, you wrote:
>This isn't a flame, but technically since you are a minor you do not have
>the "Rights" of the public adult.  And this is how schools are allowed to
>follow through with such actions.
>

>At 07:27 AM 11/28/96 CST, you wrote:
>>Hey, isn't that illegal in some way? (Assuming you live in the U.S.) I
>>know there are *many* pathetic laws about computers and data. [such as:
>>It's against the law to enter fake info when you are signing on to a
>>BBS, and no porn on the net, no copying of software, etc, etc.) Don't
>>you think that you could get a teacher in trouble for "Unauthorized Data
>>Destruction of persons private property" or something.... If my teacher
>>started toward my calc, wanting to reset it- i'd say "I have important
>>data on here, besides, I'll sue you for destruction of private property.
>>You simply cannot reset my calculator." If she/he says "You are in my
>>classroom, and I make the rules here" say something along the lines of
>>"I am in a publiclly funded tax-dollar supported government building.
>>The laws are no different in this room, than out that window."
>>
>>Some people might flame me for this view on things, but you see I have my
>>own computer in my room and I have lots of security apps on it so no one
>>but me gets in it so nothing gets messed up. The point is- it's MY
>>computer. Just as the calc is... If a teacher saw me using my Laptop at
>>school, and says "Hey, is that Doom? I have to reformat your hard drive
>>now, give that to me..." I know NO ONE on this list in their right mind
>>would hand over that laptop without saying a word. Expessially when you
>>have certain reports and stuff on it. I know that a computer will have
>>more important data on it than a calc, but it sure is a bitch to have to
>>re-install fargo, etc.. expessially when you have programs on it that you
>>are writing if you don't have a link yet.
>>
>>that1guy@juno.com
>>

>>On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:34:14 EST nick.schaf@juno.com (Nick J Schaf)
>>writes:
>>>The teachers at Arrowhead are a bit smarter.  They don't take out the
>>>batteries (especially the electronics teahcer-he knows about the
>>>lithium battery).  Our teahcers know very well how to reset the
>>>calculators, with one exception:  the 92 it too new, so they aren't
>>>all familiar with how to reset it.

If you don't give the calculator to the teacher, then they can't do
anything. They can't rip it out of your hands or make you reset it. In fact,
even if you do give it to them, the most they can do is put it in a drawer
until the end of class. In other words if they can not intentionally or
mailciously reset your calculator, and if they do, they are liable for the
damage. Technically, you could sue them, but it would be a waist of time.
Besides, if you aren't smart enough to conceal your calculator when you are
playing your games, then you really don't deserve them.