[A89] Re: p55x

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: p55x

On Sunday 14 September 2003 10:59 am, you wrote:
> > > By the
> > > way, don't libticables and libticalcs work on other Unix derivates?
> > > I see at least FreeBSD on www.tilp.info. What about those?
> > These are loadable modules.
> For Linux. Or do they work on FreeBSD, too?
Linux only so far. But you're right, keep libticables around for other
platforms.

> > AFAIK, unless you de-inline things that would otherwise be inlined,
> > it doesn't affect size or speed.
> Unfortunately, this is not true. If you have separate modules, the
> compiler and assembler don't know how far away the external references
> are. Therefore they have to assume they are far enough to event require
> an absolute reloc on the MC68000 processor (which is true only if they
> are 32KB or more away). On systems where every byte makes a difference,
> this can be a problem.
D'oh.

> > Make the functions more ANSI/POSIX like.
>
> Which functions? The ones in stdio.h, stdlib.h, string.h, etc. are
> already almost ANSI. Kevin event wrote a scanf implementation, which is
> available through a link on the TIGCC message board. You could write a
> POSIX layer on top of them, but it won't be real POSIX: For example,
> what's the use of POSIX-style file descriptors if you cannot implement a
> 'select' function to watch them?
Right; I don't mean implement TI-Linux (although that would be damned cool.)
But they're already ANSIsh; good.

> > Yes, like ANSI/POSIX.
>
> You mean like this:
> #define __NEED_HANDLE
> #include <alloc.h>
>
> That might be a good idea. It would be nice to integrate it into the
> documentation system, though, which is used to build the documentation
> and header files at the same time.

> > I'm a purist, so sue me.
> I'm not saying that your suggestions are bad, I'm just trying to point
> out some possible problems before you start coding.
Ya, thanks.
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
	- Douglas Adams