[A89] Re: Anybody Alive?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: Anybody Alive?

The other option is that assembly is fun.

Suppose you have this code in c

 if (*pointer == MUL_TAG) pointer--;

the corresponding code tigcc makes will be:

 cmp.b #MUL_TAG,(a0)
 beq DoSubtraction
Continue:

DoSubtraction
 subq.l #1,a0
 bra Continue

Whereas an intelligent asm programmer would do:

 cmp.b #Mul_TAG,(a0)
 bne SkipSubract
 subq.l #1,a0
SkipSubract:
Continue:

The assembler version is 1 instrction smaller and has only one branch
of the short form.  The c version has two branches that might be of the
short or long form depending on how large the program is.  This is just
one example.

-Samuel

--
23 He (Elisha) went up from there to Bethel; and while he was going up
on

	- 2 Kings 2: 23-25