[A89] Re: AMS 2.05 upgrade problem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: AMS 2.05 upgrade problem

I know that I can rewrite the flash ROM many times, but how would I
reinstall my old OS (1.00) if I installed an upgrade and decided I didn't
like it?  If I upgrade, will a kernal like DoorsOS will let me run
programs larger than 24k?  I ask because the Doors documentation didn't
say this, and because I recently gave Doors to a friend and it promptly
crashed his calc when installed (he may have had a HW2).

As for the antipiracy, I will quote the offical developer guide:

size <= 24 KB — The current version of the
heap manager cannot allocate any
chunk of memory larger than 64 KB.
The lower 24 KB limit is part of the
antipiracy mechanism.

This is the only mention of the antipiracy mechanism.  I still don't see
why they would need antipiracy protection for the RAM, though, nor why it
creates this infernal limit.  It doesn't make sense.  I always thought it
(the file size limit) made the calc more stable or something, but it
should be pretty obvious that I don't know what I'm talking about.

PS: The random timer worked.  Thanks for your help.

Jon K.