[A89] Re: Help with calc!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: Help with calc!!!

Joshua Abts wrote:

>I've reset evrything and done a master reset and it still dosen't work,
>anyone????

Since you don't have any warranty, you could try open up your calc and
see if it is physically broken.
if you have dropped your calc, it is possible the link port has come loose.
Check for cracks in the soldering. Or just resolder to be sure.

check the little metal thingies inside the connector, maybe they have
been bent.

Put in your calc2calc link cable  and use something (resistance meter,
diode tester, a battery and a LED, whatever) to test if  you have
connection from the soldering islands around the link cable, to the end
of the link.
If you have, your problem is probably quite serious.

The tool for opening the calc is Torx nr 6 or 7.
I can never remember, and I have lost my screws to the ti89 so I can't
check. The calc holds perfectly together without screws, so I never
bothered to screw them back in (I opened my calc a lot for a while) and
now I've lost them :)

My trick for opening the calc is:

1. remove _all_ screws. Don't forget the one for the backup battery.
2. with your fingers, crack it open at the top, by the screen. push down
the front half, and it snaps loose nicely.
3. use the case for the calc to get the rest open. put it into the crack
you opened in step 2 and slide it downwards carefully.

_don't_ use a screwdriver, they leave marks in the plastic. not very
nice. case is much better, since it has the exact same hardness as the calc.
Also remember to never use excessive force. It is not needed. If you
feel like you need to much force, check for more screws.
there is 7 of them.
Use your common sense.

You could also try look to see if any of the small caps and resistors
around the link looks burnt. (I've never heard of them burning though)

///Olle

Follow-Ups: References: