[A89] Re: Yikes! A major problem!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: Yikes! A major problem!

> After a year, they wanted me to pay $75 for them to look at it. Then if
> they decide that they can fix it, they would get back to me with how much
> it would cost. I said no way. So I just fixed it myself.

Strange -- when my 3-year-old graphlink tip got stuck in my
over-one-year-old 89, they took it in and sent me a reconditioned calc free.
I suppose that's why you're supposed to hang up and redial tech support to
get someone else when you have an issue like that; somebody's usually
sympathetic.

(I had that issue with Gateway.  My box has two serial ports, but Windows
would only recognize one as a COM port.  My first call, the tech support
person told me that I'd have to call their $0.95-per-minute "upgrade
hotline" for that, even though it isn't an upgrade.  I hung up, and the next
person told me that it could be done, but they weren't ALLOWED to tell me
how because it involved BIOS setting changes.  A third told me that it could
only be done if I disabled my modem.  By this time, I had gained enough
information to go and enable it myself, without paying or disabling my modem
or breaking anything. . .)

    -Scott