[A89] A whole lot of questions...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] A whole lot of questions...

I've recently started to study asm, and have a few questions about it as
well as some about C... so here I go (Greg's monthly post #3 or so...)

stack frames    -    I see that tigcc uses stack frames quite a bit... I
think that I know how they work, but could someone explain them for me? I am
also curious as to the effect of the flag -fomit-frame-pointer on programs
(speed wise). It seems to make the program smaller by not using link and
unlink, but is there a speed penalty or some trade off? I do realize that
some ti-os functions don't like it when you don't use a frame pointer...

movem v.s. movem.l  is there a difference? or can i assume that movem
insinuates a long word?

also, could someone show me an example using pea and lea; I'm mostly
wondering if it is possible to do something like pea a1...lea a1... haven't
gotten that to compile :)

where is the stack located on the 89 and 92+, i have seen two different
starting locations... If I remember correctly the bottom most addresses were
$120 and $400 and then it goes for 16KB or so... or was it 15.5KB?

in an assembly language program do I need to save every single register or
just certain ones or none at all? Right now, I use movem a0-a6/d0-d7,-(a7).
if I use a6 as a frame pointer, do i need to save it?

oh yea, one more thing, does anyone know of any good linking info for the
protocol that ti uses to communicate with an 89 and/or 92+? Would the
(fargo) info for the TI-92 be accurate?

thanks alot,
Greg