[A89] Re: A Night's Pondering...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: A Night's Pondering...

it would be interesting to see whether or not it could emulate in real time.
i think the only difference between the gameboy's processor and the z80 are
the scrolling registers and the sound registers, also i dont know if its rom
routines or part of the processor's routines but it uses a system somewhat
like grayscale in order to display multiple planes for scrolling backgrounds
and sprites. it would be kinda hectic to implement grayscale in with this
though because you would end up with about 8 planes to work with which would
probably flicker a lot, esp if the emulator wasnt running realtime in the
first place. for a one plane game with b&w like pong it probably wouldnt run
too bad, i havent tried texzas but if it runs fine on the 89 then it might
be able to work in realtime with the modified registers, etc... who knows?
starting since the 85's hack and release of zshell it proves that people can
do the seemingly impossible when they set their mind on getting something to
work with these calculators. it reminds me of a math teacher who once told
me that games would never be good enough or fast enough to even be bothered
with on the 85...well we all know that thats a crock eversince
zshell...anyway i dont think it can be proved that gameboy absolutely cant
run decent on an 89 until someone really tries it

as a mentioned before the smallest cart is 16k but that is padded with 0s to
be a multiple of 16k, so for the emulator you can strip those off and end up
with games that are only a couple of k...but for games besides asteroids,
pong, defender, etc theres no way possible

> Mainly because it isn't fast enough (at least for real-time emulation). I
think
> it was Scott who wrote a bit about this on A89 some time ago - basically,
even
> though the TI-89/92 68k @10-12MHz is faster than the GB:s (modified) z80,
there
> aren't enough cycles for each GB z80 instruction. Maybe dynamic
recompilation
> could help a little, but it would still not be real-time.
>
> I believe the GB also has special hardware to help it with some tasks.
Plus
> there might be a space problem, although I'm not sure how big GB games are
in
> general.

Follow-Ups: References: