Re: A89: ASM Mentoring

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: ASM Mentoring

Hi!

> I would never even think of useing printf on the calc since
> that function isn't in rom and is really large and ugly.

Just one note: as sprintf IS in the rom, printf may be implemented
in less than 100 bytes (as my implementation is).

> As I said, it is the standard objects that is large, not the
> especially any code from a C++ compiler...

Absolutely right. But, everybody which uses C++ thinks about standard
objects as a part of the language, and wants to use them (similarly
like most of users think about malloc, fputc etc. as the part of
the language, which is not true). See, I am a teacher of programming
on the University of Sarajevo, and my first C++ program for students
is just

void main(void)
{
  cout << "Hello!";
}

Everyone who ever learned C++ will try it first. And, everyone who
really use C++ will become such familiar with standard objects, so
he/she will be absolutely disoriented if they are not implemented.
For example, my students on exams always start writing

#include <iostream.h>

even before they read what they need to do in the task ;-)

Cheers,

Zeljko Juric