Re: Nintendo ports (Was Re: A89: Re: Re: ASM to C and vice versa)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nintendo ports (Was Re: A89: Re: Re: ASM to C and vice versa)

Mike smacks himself for his clumsy language gaff. Remakes, not ports.

I do agree, SMQ doesn't feel like the original, but I think a game like
Zelda would be better suited to a calculator. Look at the (sadly unfinished)
Zelda 89. It was amazing.

Since I (note the inflated ego) started this madness, I need to make some
important points on why this would be pretty hard (but not impossible) to
do:

1. Screen Size - I think the old nintendo ran at something like 300x200 (or
something similar), so ripping tiles would not work. Also, it would probably
piss Nintendo off if we ripped off their artwork.

2. Artwork - due to the problems above, someone would have to redraw a LOT
of sprites and tiles.

3. Speed - Some of the screens (like the dungeons where there are about 10
Knights on at the same time), would have to be toned down. But actually, the
processor in the 89 whips the NES like <expletive>an angry
dominatrix</expletive>. It 16 bit, for one thing, compared to the NES's 8
bit. It also runs faster. It doesn't have the extra hardware support, but I
still think it could be done.

4. Sound - It's a big part of the game. And let's face it, sound on the 89
bites. Also, that would be another thing that would be sucking clock cycles.

I would still like to get together and try it... but know what you are
getting into.

Mike