Re: A89: ASM Mentoring

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: ASM Mentoring

From: "Matt Waters" <thefishyone@hotmail.com>
> Yeah, I've seen people do some pretty cool things with TI-GCC. My only
> concern is that C is much more code-inefficiant than ASM, making programs
> slower and bulkier. This doesn't matter much on PC's, but with a calc's
> limited power and mem, it kinda sucks. Although I've been learning C++ for
> little while now, I don't think TI-GCC will compile programs written in
C++.
> Hey, if you'd be willing to teach me to program C for the 89/92+, I'd be
> willing to teach you what I know about the 68k.

The difference isn't really that big if you are a good C programmer. But a
lousy coder will probably generate larger code then needed, both in C and in
asm, but even larger in C.
A good C programmer will probably generate smaller code then a lousy asm
programmer.
(and it's easier to become a good C programmer then a good asm programmer. I
think... But it is really good to be good in asm when you learn C....)
A smart (and good) programmer uses both C and asm wisely together and make
both small and fast programs that is well structured and nice in all ways :)
I'm actually quite impressed by gcc:s good optimizeing. Both for speed and
size.

///Olle

Follow-Ups: References: