Re: A89: 3d programming (I know how...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: 3d programming (I know how...)

Uhhhh...that would be a high school course on crack AND PCP. It must mean
something different, because i'm in college Cal II, and we haven't had
abstract algebra =)

Abstract algebra is the study of groups, fields, rings, and all sorts of
other fun junk. It is the concept of algebra abstracted out (apart from the
system we all know and love).

Maybe an example will help out (let's see if I remember this correctly)
Let us define a group {a,b,c,d}, and an operator *, so that
(* does NOT mean multiplication here, it is a abstract operator i am making
up)
a*b=c
b*a=d
(and so on, and so forth, you can see that this operation is not
commutative)

Now there are rules for all this, such as each group must have an identity
element, so that
a*i=a

where "i" is the identity element.

Now don't hold me to any of the examples I have given here, I'm sure that
they are full of errors, but it illustrates what I am talking about. This is
not easy stuff, that's why it's a grad level course.

How do I know anything about it? I found my math-major uncle's old book (and
was completely baffled after the first chapter)

Mike