Re: Don't bash Microsoft (was A89: Sim City 68k)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Don't bash Microsoft (was A89: Sim City 68k)

Poorly phrased.  Man, I really screwed up on that letter.
I sometimes get too into these flamewars and don't
properly proofread.  I was referrring to SMB the whole
time, not NFS.  NFS is not quite so easy to use and
is not generally used for illegally sharing copyrighted
material.  As for this comment, I was referring to it from
the student's point of view.  Part of my point was that
there are so many legal and upstanding installations
(especially on college campuses) that it would be
very bad to ban.  But if a student sets up some files
on SMB, it's probably not an upstanding use, as is
with Napster.  That was my point here.  Sorry about
all these flaws.   I'll do better next time.  :)

In a message dated 10/1/00 11:54:46 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
mha@sollentuna.net writes:

> Incorrect. SMB and NFS together probably fulfill some 95% or more of the
>  *file sharing* that is done. A majority of this is sharing documents and
>  program data in corporate networks.
>  As for college campuses - go check out your Unix workstations when you're
>  aruond. Chances are very large that large parts of their filesystems are
>  mounted using NFS (or AFS, which is somewhat similar but hugely much
better)